Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Working the System



Some of my best childhood memories were time spent with my cousin's. We spent a lot of time together in the summer, and it was great for me (being an only child) because it meant constant playmates. A symbol of that happiness is flav or ice popcycles. My Aunt Bonnie kept her freezer stocked with them and we would eat 10 a day. I hadn't seen them since then (except occasionally in the store) until two summers ago when one of my neighbors started giving them out to the kids one day when we were all playing. You can get a box of 250 at Sam's. Since then we all have them in our deep freezer's in the garage. I gave one to my cousin Betsy when she came for Addison's baptism, for old times sake.


Yesterday we went outside and it was miserably hot. I asked Regan if she wanted to draw with chalk and she said that she wanted to ride her bicycle. I said I thought it was to hot, but she said we could try. I thought it was a little odd, because usually I have to practically force her to ride her bike. It wasn't until we got to the end of the street and she wanted to turn around that I figured out what she was up to, and I was right. The past few times she has ridden her bike we have come home and had popcycles. Sure enough as soon as we were in the garage she asked for a popcycle. She could have had one without riding her bike, but I guess she figured she had to earn it. It is very funny to me how kids think they are smarter than their parents. I didn't say anything, and I got them their popcycles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We - Betsy, Uncle and I - were discussing those ice pops just the other day. Betsy had one - only one - and could not figure out how y'all were able to eat so many in a single day. We told her: one at a time. :)