Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Lots To Talk About

First of all we went to New Orleans this weekend. We needed to get haircuts, we were supposed to go to a birthday party, and I had a long standing shopping date with a friend for me to get a new bag (a belated birthday present from my husband. Thanks Matt!). We ended up not being able to make the birthday party, because Addison got sick. Only she has probably been sick for a while and we just didn't know it. Matt's mom got her up on Sunday while Matt and I were out for a run. She said she had noticed before some white stuff on Addison's hiney. I had also noticed it, but wrote it off as diaper fuzz. And so had she. But upon closer look on Sunday she determined that Addison had pin worms. Apparently, something that is very common in kids even though I have only vaguely heard of it. She also came down with a fever on Sunday, so we decided that the birthday party was out. I took her to the pediatrician on Monday and he gave me a pill that is one dose and works like a pesticide. Ahhh the joy of having kids. He also put her on antibiotics; because she had fluid in her left ear, fever, and a stuffy nose. She also made him laugh because after he examined her (which she was not appreciative of) she kept saying "that hurt me." Which is her favorite phrase at the moment.

Addison is still not liking school very much. She cried all day Thursday and they said she even sniffled while she slept. I am sure that this is an adjustment period and I don't think it helps that the big kids are all still crying, too. We hear crying all the way down the hallway and then the other kids in her class are crying when she gets there. It's enough to make anyone nervous. But the teachers are still smiling at the end of the day, which continues to amaze me.

We went to Kindermusic for the first time this week. My mom took her the first week and then with everything last week I forgot. She enjoyed it for the most part. There were a few things that she didn't like, but she did participate and she was happy to go get her stuff and to put it back. She also walked when we went around in the circle. It was reported to me that the only thing she did the first week was put things away. Presumably because she thought that once she put them away that she would be able to leave.

Addison has had a huge improvement in speech. She is enunciating better and she is saying sentences and phrases. This week and next week we are only going once a week and then after that we will start going once a month for them to keep track of her progress. I almost wonder if they are keeping her around so long just for her charming personality. I say this because last week her speech therapist said to Addison that she needed her that morning because it had been a rough morning. And then today she told me that Addison was one of her favorites. What can I say. My kids spread the joy around. : ) Her speech therapist did say that she is making very good sounds. I was concerned that she is not ending with the n sound on words like on. But the speech therapist said that sound comes much later.

I know I promised a video of Addison singing, and I wish I could deliver because it is unbelievably cute. However, she refuses to perform on command. I will keep trying.

And finally, I went to Regan's school last Thursday to bring her library book because we forgot to put it in her backpack that morning. She was outside with her class and the assistant and her teacher was doing things in the classroom. Her teacher told me that Regan is very creative and pays attention to detail. She also said that Regan will play with a wide variety of kids (both girls and boys) based on if they are doing something interesting.

No comments: