Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Frustrating
Addison pulled her tube out again this morning. I wasn't to concerned about it, because today was the day that the home health nurse comes to check on her. Well, she called me this morning to tell me that the insurance company has decided that Addison no longer needs the tube because she is gaining weight. Yes. She IS gaining weight BECAUSE SHE HAS THE TUBE! So, I spent most of the morning dealing with that. I called the insurance company who said I had to have the pediatrician call them to consult on why she still needs the tube. I was more than happy to do that, because I knew Dr. Baumboree would have no problem calling the insurance company. He was very irritated when I called him. He said that this happens all of the time, and usually the person that is making the decisions doesn't even have a medical background. My first reaction was how does the insurance company think that they know more than the pediatrician who is treating her. You hear about this kind of thing happening, but you never think it will happen to you. Anyway, Dr. Baumboree said that since it is out and we are treating her for an infection to go ahead and see how she does on the bottle tonight and I can bring her in tomorrow for them to put the tube back in. In the mean time he will fight with the insurance company. The home health nurse said that the insurance company told her that I could put the tube back in when Addison pulls it out. I don't think so! A nurse needs to do it, because it can go into her lungs and then we really have a problem. As it is, I have to check it every feeding to make sure it is still in her tummy. On the bright side, Addison is taking more from the bottle. She is up to 90 ml on her own, but I'm not sure if that is enough for her to continue to thrive. I guess we will see with her weigh in in the morning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment